Jaleel White Responds To Ex's Abuse Allegations

Image Detail

(CNN) -- "Dancing with the Stars" competitor Jaleel White has responded to an ex-girlfriend's claims that he was physically abusive toward her.

The actor - best known for portraying Steve Urkel on "Family Matters" - told E! News in a statement that while he "would love to go detail for detail refuting [Bridget] Hardy's claims about the specifics of what was our relationship," he can't: "The family court judge made it very clear to me any public discussion of our case and ordeal would be held against me in a court of law," he explained.

Hardy, who is the mother of White's young daughter, told Star magazine recently that White became violent during a 2010 incident when she confronted him about being unfaithful. Police did look into the allegations at the time, but concluded there wasn't enough to warrant the City Attorney's Office to "take a look."

Earlier this week, Hardy told Star that White allegedly "hit me across the chest area," and "pushed me into the toilet and it broke...Water went everywhere, through the walls and even into the kitchen downstairs."

But the 35-year-old actor has said he believes Hardy's allegations are oddly timed.

"The allegations made against me back in 2010 have suspiciously resurfaced in time to coincide with my new show on Syfy and 'Dancing with the Stars,'" he told E!. "Ms. Hardy's attempts at greater sums of money above and beyond child support have continued now for two years...I'm assuming I have not received her votes these past Monday nights."

In the end, the actor said, the only thing he cares about is the well-being of his daughter.

"My only hope is that when my daughter Googles her parents one day in her future, she sees that her father acted with class and dignity when pressed to the fire," he said. "Bridget Hardy is the mother of my only daughter in this world and without Ms. Hardy I would not have the treasure that is my daughter. God knows the truth, the authorities swift dismissal of her police report are two years in my past. I ask for your sensitivity during this time; I can assure all of my fans this is only residue from a child custody matter."

Comments

Popular Posts